Saturday, August 30, 2008

Amuleto by Crystal Jade

I'm superior. I do not stuff myself.

Yeah, right.

Screw the diet. Bikini can wait.


Stuffing is in order at Amuleto by Crystal Jade.



I suppose what's distinctive about this place is the solid, confident tone of blood red. Not that I'm complaining. Red is the color for hunger, how apt that a restaurant is dyed that specific shade. Amuleto is however, prepared to satiate that appetite.







The interior is divided into a few sections. Soccer (or US Open) fans can hide in the back with a huge projector screen with the main dining area upfront. It's generally stylish and modern.

One thing I cannot tahan is how there's too much of 'a-bit-of-everything'. It's not a bad thing, it just took me a bit of time to absorb the whole concept.


This place makes me happy.

Skip the spoon clinking, and on with the stuffing!


Papaya Salad with Chicken Floss, Thai Style

With the naked eye, the young papaya strips looked like salmon. But Chris was so smart, that he put on his smug face and said it's Kerabu. Hahaha!! OMGWTF..!! Why not call it Salmon Lookalike Kerabu Salad?

Ringo says "Kerabu is so not fucking Thai can". I fucking agree.


Greens Tempura with Shredded Dried Scallop

I swear, I nearly passed out from the orgasm I got from this dish. Not only is it kangkung and deep fried tempura style, it also has scallops! Nevermind that it's dried and in the form of shavings. Imagine the grease oozing with every bite. Damn shiok.


Quartet Soup

The first three soups were very deceiving, they looked like kiwi, orange and mango, but the mushroom soup is obvious. It is a combo of Broccoli, French Onion, Pumpkin and Mushroom soups, uniquely served in shot glasses, apparently for indecisive guests. The straws were a little unpractical though, as it was shared among a few people (including strangers) during the Food Tasting.

My favorite is the Broccoli, because mushroom soup is overrated, I hate pumpkins, and onions could turn you into the next TauPaSing in action.

Mental note to self: Bring Sze here.


Vegetable Beef Roll

Meat! Finally! Sorry, I cannot help it. I'm a carnivore, short of stirring a human in a cauldron, which would make me a cannibal. Served cold, not only is the presentation pleasing to the eye, the taste is also pretty good. Of course, the star of the dish is the beef.

What's more is that it can be eaten in one single unladylike-fashion bite. Here's something I'd like to see in girls. Chewing mouthful.


Sizzling Cheesy Glutinous Rice Cake with Seaweed & Katsuobushi

Chris tries to make up for the humiliation of Thai Kerabu, and refers to the Bonito Flakes as onions. LOL! Wei, bonito is a kind of mackerel la. It's a fish. Fish and onions are quite different, my friend.

Despite its cheesiness, it is only tasty when eaten hot. When the cheese is still all disgustingly melty.


Rosti with Mushroom

Potato lovers will absolutely die for this. I have to say, the creamy mushroom gravy wasn't too compatible with the rosti. In fact, going by the norm that jacket potatoes are usually served with sour cream, I think the sour cream would have been a much better accompaniment. Or even eaten plain on its own.

On a somewhat unrelated note though, I think the mushroom cream would do good if it stuck back to poultry instead.


Amuleto Fried Seafood Spaghetti with Olive Oil

This studio photo doesn't do much justice to the succulent prawns. Let Sony T-200 macro show you something.


It's just one, but you can almost taste it in your mouth.

The taste is quite bland, but then again, the ratio of spaghetti to seafood is about 3 to 2, which is pretty good by my standards.


Wasabi Steak

This studio photo also doesn't quite show the oomph. So, here.


Heart attack on a dish.

Beef! To hell with health, calories and cholestrol, we're all going to die anyway.

Awesome and slightly bleeding medium steak topped with wasabi sauce. Beef doesn't get any better. Except maybe for wagyu - damn things are so freaking expensive.


Chocolate Fondue


Pretty pretty.

Have you seen something so pretty? On the left, dark chocolate. On the right, white chocolate. I personally vote dark chocolate, but people like me devour any kinds of chocolate in whatever shape, size, and form.


Fruits to dip into the thick, delicious chocolate.

What perfection to the end of a meal. Chocolates pretty much say it all. Chocolates should be a religion. Or at least an ajaran sesat or something. There's already a cult for cheese, why not for chocolate?


Amuleto by Crystal Jade, located on Ground Floor, Mid Valley Megamall.

****************

Also served that day, specially for Ringo, was the Cheese Fries.


Cheese Fries

Look at it, all melty, rich and shiny. Needless to say, we attacked like we just came from a famine.


One more pretty-pretty picture of the dining table : )

3 comments:

joshuaongys said...

u took all the pics or someone took it o.O

§pinzer said...

cheh u think she so terror meh :P wahahhaa

Ching said...

Joshua
Most of them are photos from the press kit.

Chris
Who's so terror? I didn't say anyone very terror also.