Thursday, January 8, 2009

Japan: Asakusa

This post is long due. More than 1 year ago wtf.



In the fehmes Asakusa temple, there was this stretch of shops selling small souvenirs, candies and religious items. And it was super crowded with mostly tourists.







And heading towards the temple itself, there was another 'pintu gerbang'. Three more hugeass lanterns.



There was a pagoda next to the temple.



And right outside the temple, there was this cauldron-looking thing with burning incense inside it. The smoke is supposed to be for good fortune and to cure sicknesses in general. Personally, it was just choking me.

People were just reaching out to touch the smoke and touch themselves wherever they wanted to cure.



Behind it was a fountain. Apparently it's safe for drinking and has healing effects.

[WTF, everything in a temple has healing effects, what, magic ah?]



And I had dry chapped lips from all the temperature change of MAS-JPN-MAS-JPN. So I went to get my lips healed also. -.-

Water was super cold, it was autumn at that time. Very refreshing, if nothing else. Lips didn't recover though.







Later that night, I went to Yoyogi and one of the shopping malls had their exterior lights in a Christmas theme. Very pretty! Can see the little green pine tree icons.



And everywhere I went there were Christmas decorations! Quite amazing, since Japan's religion is mostly Buddhism.



My favorite Christmas decoration was the one in Takashimaya. It was a Christmas tree made of Teddy bears. There was one on every floor. All 12 floors of the store. The one on the ground floor at the Concourse area was at least 2-storey tall.





And finally, one more to remember the season by.

This was autumn in Harajuku.



P/S: God, I miss Japan. When, when, when... will I be able to go back and relive the best time of my life? : (

PP/S: Singapore again tomorrow till the 20th. Will mommy miss me?

PPP/S: Will be meeting Li-Yen there too! : )

No comments: